Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Just Stuff Stupid Hollywood…

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  GlitterGirl 5 years ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

Have any of you gone to see Ben Afleck's new movie Argo? I haven't personally seen the movie but have got the low down on it from entertainment shows and from my cousin. My cousin's Dad (my Uncle) was one of the main reasons why the Americans were able to hide out and get out of Iran and his name is not even mentioned once during the movie, even Ken Taylor (the Canadian Ambassador) got very little recognition. My Uncle was second in command at the Canadian Embassy, just below Ken Taylor the Ambassador. My Uncle, John Sheardown was very good friends with one of the six Americans (the played golf together etc). After a few days of being on the run with the the Americans, my Uncle's friend phoned him and told him they needed a place to stay and so my Uncle took all five of them into his home and hid them. Then he got a call from the other American who was at the Swedish (I think that's the right embassy) embassy and my Uncle took her into his home also. Once the Canadian Govement was informed about the Americans hiding at my Uncles, ken Taylor was ordered to take two of the Americans into his home. My Uncle hid the Americans for over three months in his home while the American and Canadian Govement s figured out how to get them out of the country. Bits of the story in the movie are true but very exaggerated and other things never happened – I guess that's Hollywood for you.

I just think it's terrible that my Uncle was not even mentioned once during this movie. Even after it happened and everyone was safely back home, Ken Taylor took all the credit for it as well, he's quite an ass that man! If you would like to know the real story you could rent the movie The Canadian Caper – Escape from Iran. My cousin Rob was just interviewed on the radio about this whole situation the other day. If you'd like to hear the interview and the real story you can listen to it hear: http://www.cbc.ca/video/news/audioplayer.html?clipid=2291921540

Ok, I've ranted enough about this, sorry, it just makes me very angry.

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

I haven't seen the movie, but I remember hearing the story when it happened and marveling over the bravery of the people who took the Americans into their homes. I can't listen to your uncle's interview because I'm still on my IPad and it doesn't have flash. I'm glad he was given the opportunity to set the record straight though.

It IS very sad that proper credit hasn't been given to your uncle, but you can bet that the people he helped haven't forgotten what he did. It was a time when I was very proud of our country! Thank heavens there are still people like your uncle in the world!

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

Im sorry that proper credit wasnt given. But I did like the movie though

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

I haven't seen the movie, but I remember hearing the story when it happened and marveling over the bravery of the people who took the Americans into their homes. I can't listen to your uncle's interview because I'm still on my IPad and it doesn't have flash. I'm glad he was given the opportunity to set the record straight though.

It IS very sad that proper credit hasn't been given to your uncle, but you can bet that the people he helped haven't forgotten what he did. It was a time when I was very proud of our country! Thank heavens there are still people like your uncle in the world!

Ditto!!!

Credit should always be given where due – no matter WHAT!

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

I know it's hard when proper credit is not given but I'm sure your uncle was not even thinking about taking credit when he did the proper thing. Blessed are those who do good from the bottom of their hearts instead of looking for the glory. Your uncle's rewards will be much greater in the end because of NOT being glorified here;)

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

I know it's hard when proper credit is not given but I'm sure your uncle was not even thinking about taking credit when he did the proper thing. Blessed are those who do good from the bottom of their hearts instead of looking for the glory. Your uncle's rewards will be much greater in the end because of NOT being glorified here;)

You're right, my Uncle has never seemed to be bothered by it, I think all of us relatives get more annoyed than he ever would, lol.

I love the true story better…but leave it to Hollywood….anyway I will keep the real story in mind if I ever see the movie.
                If you remember Moneyball with Brad Pitt….the movie about the baseball team the Oakland As back in 20002. Well so much of that movie is also distorted and lots of key players were hardly mentioned and the manager of the team was portrayed as a real ass..which he was not.
                Maybe it is just as well you uncle wasn't mentioned…who knows how he would have been portrayed.
                I agree with Andiepants04

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.