Home Forums Kit Talk Suggestions Swirlydoo Style

This topic contains 9 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  GlitterGirl 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

I have a question. One of my best friends did a lay out for the sept. contest and we discussed which ones we would pick for the winner. She said something that I think might be true. She said that swirly sisters like lots of embellishmants and more flowers and have a romantic style lots of stuff on their page. There are not really a lot of simple layouts. Is that because of the style of Swirlydoos? Are there other places that do more simple lay outs. I dont know if this makes sense. I love the layouts at Swirlydoos but it takes a lot of time to lea from all the tutorials. Does this make in sense?

craftysprinkles
    Swirly Scrapper
      Send PM

There are lots of different styles of scrapbooking and sites and clubs that cater to each (or most). One of the things that I didn't like about the way trends were going, personally, was a more minimalist LO style, with lots of negative space surrounding a cluster of small photos and some 2D embellies. Definitely not my style, though lots of others like it and do it well. Likewise I'm not into bright, cartoony types of papers, so those pages and clubs don't appeal to me. It was a bit of a Three Bears situation, where Swirlydoos was just right for me.

I think Swirlydoos does attract a certain style of scrapper, but that being said, the kits are very versatile and you can do a lot with it that isn't fussy or over-embelished if that is more your style. I personally like to tinker for days over a LO until I have it just right 🙂

TY Jax I like the style of Swirlydoos and my friend likes more simplistic styles without many flower embellishments. Different folks – different strokes.

There are lots of different styles of scrapbooking and sites and clubs that cater to each (or most). One of the things that I didn't like about the way trends were going, personally, was a more minimalist LO style, with lots of negative space surrounding a cluster of small photos and some 2D embellies. Definitely not my style, though lots of others like it and do it well. Likewise I'm not into bright, cartoony types of papers, so those pages and clubs don't appeal to me. It was a bit of a Three Bears situation, where Swirlydoos was just right for me.

I think Swirlydoos does attract a certain style of scrapper, but that being said, the kits are very versatile and you can do a lot with it that isn't fussy or over-embelished if that is more your style. I personally like to tinker for days over a LO until I have it just right 🙂

Thank you Goldilocks!!! Perfectly said!!
      Yes Kathy, we are bunch of embellishers here…That's our style, nothing minimalist about Swirlydoos, but you don't have to do all the embellishments. You can still do simple and clean although there aren't to many of those LO's here too demonstrate that. The beautiful part it you can lea from all the techniques shown here, use 1, 2, 3, or all of them on a LO. That's your choice. If your friend wants a kit club that does simple, have her go to top 50 and look for one. There are some that use block type cut outs sticker style. (NOT my style!!!!!) Give me BLING and flowers anyday!!! I'm not dissin those clubs, it takes all kinds. We may not have simple LO's, but our Designers and Subscibers sure know how to teach it so that it IS simple to lea. This is by far the best community of scrappers. If you look at the top 50, we are currently number 6, if you look at 1-5, they are digital scrap sites (should be in a category of their own)…#1 is one of those cookie cutter style clubs.Everything is cut out for you, you just assemble it. No techniques to lea, nothing artistic. What does that mean??? If clubs were listed by style?? We would be number 1…And we will get there. Cause Swirlydoos is in a class of their
      own..No competition here!!

And I aint gettin' off this soap box yet!!! lol…

LOL!!

I agree that there is nothing simplistic about Swirlydoos, that being said, there are a thousand places that you can get that. In fact, I find that we are the minority!

Some of my los don't have a ton on them, I call them my palette cleansing layouts. ;)

There is definitely a Swirly style. I feel like we have worked to cultivate it from the beginning and now, it is a recognizable thing.

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

[quote]

Thank you Goldilocks!!! Perfectly said!!
        Yes Kathy, we are bunch of embellishers here…That's our style, nothing minimalist about Swirlydoos, but you don't have to do all the embellishments. You can still do simple and clean although there aren't to many of those LO's here too demonstrate that. The beautiful part it you can lea from all the techniques shown here, use 1, 2, 3, or all of them on a LO. That's your choice. If your friend wants a kit club that does simple, have her go to top 50 and look for one. There are some that use block type cut outs sticker style. (NOT my style!!!!!) Give me BLING and flowers anyday!!! I'm not dissin those clubs, it takes all kinds. We may not have simple LO's, but our Designers and Subscibers sure know how to teach it so that it IS simple to lea. This is by far the best community of scrappers. If you look at the top 50, we are currently number 6, if you look at 1-5, they are digital scrap sites (should be in a category of their own)…#1 is one of those cookie cutter style clubs.Everything is cut out for you, you just assemble it. No techniques to lea, nothing artistic. What does that mean??? If clubs were listed by style?? We would be number 1…And we will get there. Cause Swirlydoos is in a class of their
        own..No competition here!!

And I aint gettin' off this soap box yet!!! lol…
        [/quote]
        Here Here!!!

It's so funny that this topic came up. I was looking at the other site, and I saw so many simplistic, plain LOs. I mean down to the bear bones paper and sticker LO's. I scrapped like that when I first started eons ago. I even drew my border with colored pens! I say Bravo is that is your niche in the ScrappyKindgom, but I find that I have evolved and changed. I remember looking at 2 Dogs LO's, and I had to find Swirlydoos immediately. I've never known who 2 Dogs really was….but her style enticed me, and the embellishments made me fall in love! End of story. I still have some LO's that tend to be on the simple side….and I'm still not where I want to be. But….my SwirlySisters still amaze and inspire me.
        Thanks to all SwirlySisters for the encouragement and examples to grow and lea. You are all the best!

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

I couldn't have said it better!!

Snagg1
            Send PM

Like Debbie – I started when there wasn't anything to embelish with & my style has changed. But Swirlydoos kits lend themselves to simpler designs also, but I adore the more is better & the techniques I have leaed.

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

Lisa, very well said and I couldn't agree with you more. I love to embellish and have lots of flowers!!! It is our style here.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

It's so funny that this topic came up. I was looking at the other site, and I saw so many simplistic, plain LOs. I mean down to the bear bones paper and sticker LO's. I scrapped like that when I first started eons ago. I even drew my border with colored pens! I say Bravo is that is your niche in the ScrappyKindgom, but I find that I have evolved and changed. I remember looking at 2 Dogs LO's, and I had to find Swirlydoos immediately. I've never known who 2 Dogs really was….but her style enticed me, and the embellishments made me fall in love! End of story. I still have some LO's that tend to be on the simple side….and I'm still not where I want to be. But….my SwirlySisters still amaze and inspire me.
              Thanks to all SwirlySisters for the encouragement and examples to grow and lea. You are all the best!

2 Dogs is Toni!! Toni and I were Swirlydoos first Guest DT members!! I just happened to stick around a while longer!! I still love and follow Toni's work! She is awesome!! Toni's sister is Catz. Theresa Manchas!! I am sure you know her as well! I love them both.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.