Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Just Stuff Update on Owen

This topic contains 32 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Snagg1 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

craftysprinkles
    Swirly Scrapper
      Send PM

Hey, gals! Sorry I haven't been around much. I've been really busy with Owen and the hospital, and still trying to keep it all together for the rest of the fam. (Don't even get me started on the filthiness of my house.)

First, this program has been really good for us. There are MANY facets that go into his behavior planning and changes. The primary one is keeping him on a pretty rigid schedule at home, rotating between preferred and non-preferred activities throughout the day, on a rotating basis of no longer than 30 minutes. It's pretty exhausting, but the results are worth it. They usually have kids follow visual picture schedules, but Owen only attends to pictures of HIGHLY preferred activities, so he doesn't get a picture schedule. Therefore, we are using an object- first-then schedule. Basically, there is a box that has his schedule in it with two objects representing the next two tasks he must do. One activity is non-preferred, and when he is done with that, he can do whatever preferred activity is in the box. I will spare you all of the logistics on this, but in a nutshell, this is now our lives.

It's going well most of the time, but Owen is not always thrilled about it, so we are still having episodes of high aggression, but nothing as unsafe and drastic as before we entered the program. He's also on an Rx for agitation due to Autism known as Risperdal, and this has really helped with the intensity of his aggression.

The good news is that I will be spending a lot of time on the unit this week with him, and he will be discharged on Friday! It has been a LOOONG month, but so worth every second. Through working with Owen's team, I have had a lightbulb moment this week, that it is not my job to try to set up a perfect, highly preferred environment for Owen. We have already made several changes at home to stop this madness, and it will be worth it. Before, I felt like the parents in that movie The Twilight Zone where everyone was afraid of that little boy who would do mean things to them if they didn't do exactly what he said. But, not now.

Sounds like a very positive direction. You are so strong and I know will be able to make good progress. I tip my hat to you for your courage and send you big HUGE hugs!

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

I am so happy that the program is working and giving you at least some sort of results that you can work with. When is such a doll but I understand that things are difficult. I'm always around the coer whenever you need anything!

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

That sounds like things are progressing well for Owen, hopefully this will help the whole family. Big hugs to you for all of your hard work with Owen, you are an awesome Mom!

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

Glad things are becoming more postive for Owen!

Rae your amazing!!!! Owen is so blessed to have ya in his life as I'm sure your just as blessed. So glad this seems to be a great thing. Sending prayers your way and hugs!!!!!! Hang in there mommy!

So good to read all of this. You guys are an amazing team and I'm so glad this program is working. Big BIG HUGS!!!

Rae – Just wanted you to know that I think you are amazing. Sometimes we think we are giving more than we can handle then something shows up. You, Owen and your whole family are in my prayers.
            Hugs
            Ginger

craftysprinkles
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

Rae, this is wonderful news!!!!!
              And forget about filthy, Owen (and your DH and the other two kids) are far more important.
              I'm just so happy for all of you!!!!

craftysprinkles
              Swirly Scrapper
                Send PM

Rae, sounds like a wonderful program…I leaed a lot just reading what you just wrote…I often feel like I am in that Twilight Zone Movie with my son. I am going to try what you said…Thanks!

craftysprinkles
                Swirly Scrapper
                  Send PM

Thanks, ladies! It really is working out well. There is a lot planning and setting up the environment for this to work out. I'm glad I only have two other kids- it's really a lot of work. I am just dead tired after the kids go to bed. It will get easier though.

Barbara, I am so sorry you feel like you are in a similar situation. Huge hugs to you. If you ever want to talk and go over some strategies, I'm here for you, hon!

So glad to hear that things are moving in a positive direction, Rae! I will keep you all in my prayers!

Snagg1
                    Send PM

Rae it is great news about Owen. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts. Please let me know if I can do anything to help since I'm pretty close. Hang in swirlygirly.

craftysprinkles
                    Swirly Scrapper
                      Send PM

Rae, sounds like a wonderful program…I leaed a lot just reading what you just wrote…I often feel like I am in that Twilight Zone Movie with my son. I am going to try what you said…Thanks!

Oh, Barbara, {{{HUGS}}}…
                      Keeping you in my prayers……

Krissy
                      Krissy
                      Swirly Admin
                        Send PM

Rae this is fantastic!!! Sounds like you will all find life so much easier with a little balance…it's just going to take some adjustment time. Sounds like this will be really good for Owen too…give him more coping skills for dealing with others outside the home.

Hang in there honey.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.